United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
Sustainability is a global opportunity and our Sustainability Strategy does not exist in isolation. In 2015, as part of a new sustainable development agenda, the United Nations adopted a set of Sustainable Development Goals to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure prosperity for all. Each goal has specific targets to be achieved within a 15-year timeframe.
The United Nations has called on governments, private and public sectors and individuals to contribute to the global effort in meeting these goals. Transurban has identified seven United Nations Sustainable Development Goals our business can best contribute to:
This Sustainability Report includes details of our progress towards meeting these goals. Refer to the Progress report – Sustainable Development Goals section for more information.
Transurban supports a range of sustainability frameworks. For FY17, we reported or were independently benchmarked against the following sustainability frameworks. Our performance is detailed below.
Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI)
- Transurban was included in the 2017 DJSI World Index, indicating our sustainability performance is in the top 10 per cent internationally.
- We were the leading toll road operator and second-highest rated organisation in the ‘Transportation and Transportation Infrastructure’ sector.
- Transurban was also awarded the 2017 Industry Mover Award for the greatest annual improvement in the sector.
Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB) - Infrastructure
- In 2017, Transurban was rated first globally for Transportation Infrastructure, first globally for Toll Road Operations and second overall (out of 160 participants).
- Transurban has been a FTSE4Good Global Index member for 13 years, including for FY17.
Australian Council of Superannuation Investors (ACSI)
- For ten consecutive years, the ACSI has rated Transurban’s sustainability governance and performance as ‘Leading’.
Ethibel Socially Responsible Investment Register
- In 2017, Transurban was included in the Ethibel Investment Register and provided with an ‘EXCELLENCE’ Label.
United Nations Global Compact (UNGC)
- Transurban is a UNGC signatory member and reports annually on progress. Our membership represents our commitment to support and contribute to the UN’s sustainability program including the Sustainable Development Goals.